Feb 14, 2012

Biology and Valentine's Day.....

Since being at Eric and Alena's in December I have wanted to make my own yogurt. Okay, that may sound weird, but Alena makes her own and I thought it would be great to give it a try. I use Greek yogurt everyday in my smoothie (recipe for yogurt and my smoothie can be found on my blog: http://sharingtheyums.blogspot.com ) and frankly, I think it's pretty expensive. If I could make my own at a significant savings I would be thrilled. That brings me to the biology part of this post; yesterday I started the yogurt making process. It just takes 1 gallon of milk (I used skim) and 1/3 cup of Greek yogurt (you've got to get the active cultures from somewhere). It takes the whole day, though your actual work time is only 30 minutes. Last night before going to bed I put the yogurt in the fridge to drain.
Now on to the rest of the story....I have developed sort of an obsession with trying to keep one step ahead of Kenneth. I have discovered that it is impossible...I keep trying...and so far...he's always been ahead of me! This Valentine's Day is no exception! We both agree this holiday is pretty overrated, I mean, it's sort of a "forced" day to be nice to your sweetheart. People who may ignore their spouse all year long suddenly rush out to buy flowers, chocolates and a card...all in an attempt to make up for the other 364 days. In our case I feel like every day is Valentine's Day. I am with the most wonderful man whom I adore and feel completely loved and cherished by. We spend tons of time together; dining, watching movies while snuggled on the sofa, hours are spent talking and planning our future, we laugh and play and simply enjoy this wonderful gift we have been given. Every day he makes me feel special and hopefully I am doing the same for him. So how in the world could Valentine's Day top what I already have?
While shopping on Saturday I bought a card for Kenneth! I was ahead of the game! Last night just as we were going to bed I placed the card on Kenneth's desk so he would see it first thing this morning. I went to sleep "knowing" I would surprise him and...and I "knew" he had done nothing...victory was mine! As we woke up this morning we wished each other a happy Valentine's Day and then Kenneth said he wanted to go see the yogurt. What? Why? I knew I was curious to test it, but him??? So we headed to the kitchen where this beautiful pot of azaleas and a very sweet card awaited me! He won! While I was sleeping he had gotten up and not only put my gift out, but also had seen the card for him the night before! I am already plotting to surprise him for his birthday!!! Will I succeed???
After our exchanging of gifts we did check on the yogurt! As if by magic there was thick, rich Greek-style yogurt in my fridge. I compared it to my store bought yogurt and it looks and tastes exactly same....yippee for science...for biology...I have a new skill that I will use over and over.

No comments: