Oct 13, 2010

Do you believe in miracles?

mir·a·cle –noun
1. an effect or extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernatural cause.
2. such an effect or event manifesting or considered as a work of god.
3. a wonder; marvel.

There are many who say miracles no longer happen, that anything "miraculous" is simply a culmination of random events. How sad for them! In my life I have experienced or been witness to events that are nothing short of a miracle.

Where to begin the list?
~I'll start with finding the Gospel at age 18
~Four wonderful children who are living the Gospel
~Each of them finding the perfect spouse for them and marrying in the temple
~Seven grandchildren, each of whom is a miracle in their own right
~Having a stable job that made it possible to provide for my family
~Being able to buy a home as a single mom (I never would have thought that possible)
~Ashley suffering a severe spinal cord injury and being able to walk again
~Enduring trials without losing sight of eternity, these are only a few of the many miracles great and small that have blessed my life.

As you can see, I believe in miracles. I know each of these miracles and all others come from our loving Father in Heaven. He wants nothing more than to bless our lives and sometimes he surprises us with that blessing when we least expect it, when we struggle on the edge of faith and wonder if He really knows just how hard our trials might be!

The past couple of years have been difficult ones. I have experienced heartbreak and sadness that left me alone and wondering about my future. Though I was alone I didn't feel lonely. I always knew that my Heavenly Father and my Savior were with me and they had blessed me with loving family and the dearest of friends. I had no complaints, no worries, and with faith I simply put my life into the hands of my Father and Savior. I trust Them to take care of me, no doubts, no questioning, just simple faith. I knew that no matter what life dished out I still needed to be my best, to serve others and live the Gospel to the best of my ability.

I love how Elder Oaks puts it all in perspective,
"Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ prepares us for whatever life brings. This kind of faith prepares us to deal with life's opportunities - to take advantage of those that are received and to persist through the disappointments of those that are lost. In the exercise of that faith, we should commit ourselves to the priorities and standards we will follow on matters we do not control and persist faithfully in those commitments, whatever happens to us because of the agency of others or the timing of the Lord. When we do this, we will have a constancy in our lives that will give us direction and peace. We cannnot have true faith in the Lord without also having complete trust in the Lord's will and in the Lord's timing....Commit yourself to put the Lord first in your life, keep His commandments, and do what the Lord's servants ask you to do. Then your feet are on the pathway to eternal life. You do not know what will happen. Do your best on what is fundamental and personal and then trust in the Lord and His timing."

Now for my miracle! I thought, and had accepted, that I would be alone the rest of my life. I was good with that. I had plans. I had bought new furniture and redecorated my bedroom and living room. I was setting and obtaining some of my personal goals. I was looking at new opportunities within my company! I was totally and completely happy with my life! Then, out-of-the-blue came a wonderful man sent straight from Heaven. Our meeting is nothing short of a divine miracle! He is everything I could have hoped and prayed for. He is the perfect man for me. He loves me. He protects me. He treats me like a queen, something I hoped for, but never dreamed possible. He is kind and loving. He is a worthy Priesthood holder and an incredible man. I love him dearly! He is from Phoenix. He is the father of four wonderful children who are all married to equally wonderful people and there are 12 grandchildren. His name is Kenneth!...how I love saying his name! He is my miracle!



......we are engaged and will be married soon! Miracles do happen, it is all done in the Lord's own time!

15 comments:

Andee Blackham said...

Congrats, I'm so happy for you. You deserve the best, you are amazing. Love ANDEE

Jeppson Clan said...

Oh my stars! I am SO happy for you! Congratulations!!! Debbie and Kenneth. It does have a great ring to it.
Does this mean you are moving to PHX? Is that a silly question? :) You look fantastic and so happy. Hooray for miracles.

Greg Runyan and Lori Peck said...

I do believe in miracles. Greg and I are living proof in the 'finding rightous LDS love at our age' department of miracles.
We're both so happy for you and have a word or two for Kenneth. Be wonderful to our girl, we know where Gilbert, AZ is. ;o)

Unknown said...

Sis. Peck....I promise to take care of "your girl" once she becomes mine. I look very much forward to doing just that. And...you are welcome to come to Gilbert, AZ anytime.

Tera said...

I'm crying. I'm just so happy for you! Congratulations!!

I believe in miracles too. I love you, and I wish you the very best.

I loved reading all the blog updates. Your grandkids are adorable and I love, love, love the new furniture. Keep us updated.

Melinda said...

Congratulations!! I am so excited and happy for you!! Life is full of miracles. You deserve the best! Thank you for your testimony! We will miss you when you leave to AZ.....but, for Kenneth's sake, we will survive.

You look great! And, very happy. Congrats!

Kara and David Coop said...

Debbie, I am so excited for you and Kenneth. I'm glad that you found some one who makes you so happy! I hope he knows what an inspiration you are. I could not be where I am today if it were not for your love and guidance! I see the willowtree figurine I gave you in the picture with the roses, please take it with you and keep it on display so that you know I still and always will feel that way about you! Congratulations!
Love Kara!

Lesta Sims said...

Congratulations Debbie! You deserve to be treated like a Queen and to be happy! You make a great looking couple too!
Luv,
Lesta

heidi said...

WOWOW! congratulations! and you look absolutely AMAZING!

Steph said...

Perfect. Congratulations to you both (but especially to Kenneth, he is getting an amazing woman!) Thank you for your shining example Debbie! Love you - and enjoy your new adventure!!!! =)

Barb said...

Debbie, I am sooooooooooooooooooo happy for you. where will you be living? I see your life and and envious of those children of yours and them chosing to do what is right, I can only blame myself. So you truly are blessed twice over. May our Father in Heaven continue to bless you.

Greg Runyan and Lori Peck said...

Thanks Kenneth, we thought that might wrangle an invitation to Arizona! It gets awfully cold here in January and February. Brrrrr.

Amber said...

Congratulations!! So excited to hear that.
Love from Albuquerque!

Deb Bettencourt said...

It is a miracle...but I am not surprised that He would have something so great planned for someone so special. I love you Deb. (and now, you too Kenneth!)

heidi said...

still waiting for pictures. impatiently, i might add.