Jan 26, 2012

June 2011: My dad's funeral....

Not long after Kenneth and I were married my dad's health took a turn for the worse. He had had a few problems in the past year, but nothing that wasn't manageable. By March of 2011 he had nearly quit eating and spent his days sleeping off and on. This is why he and my mom came to Arizona in March; it was with the hope that the trip would 'perk' him up. The trip did. While at our home he ate well, enjoyed conversation and the little activities we did. We could tell he was struggling to have energy, but he really was trying. Once back in Kansas City he went right back to not eating and sleeping for hours upon hours. Memorial Day weekend he was admitted to the hospital. He had gotten up twice during the night, disoriented and the second time he was wondering through the house and fell. My mom called paramedics and it was determined he needed help. CJ and Adam went to see him that Sunday afternoon and on their way home they both called to let me know that 'grandpa wasn't doing well' and they were concerned he might not make it. Kenneth and I discussed the situation and decided I needed to be there. The next morning I was on a flight home. The following 17 days were a blur of hours spent in the hospital and helping my mom. Kenneth followed a few days later. I could not have gotten through all of this without his support. Multiple tests were run all without any conclusion of what was wrong with my dad. He wouldn't eat, he slept for long periods of time, he was confused and with it all he became weaker and weaker. A feeding tube was placed to provide nutrition and he was moved to a nursing home. In just over 24-hours after being moved to the nursing home he peacefully left this earth life while CJ and Adam were giving him a blessing. My mom and I were there too. It was the most peaceful experience. He simply left. I remember commenting to my mom at that moment, "think of the reunion that is happening right now. Dad's parents and the grandmother whom he loved so dearly were there to greet him." My mom said, "when you put it that way we should all want to go with him." I miss my dad, but I know with complete confidence that all is well. I know I will see him again and that families are eternal. It will be a tremedous experience when his CJ and Adam can do his temple work for him this summer in the Kansas City Temple.
What a blessing that will be.
The color-guards were from the Kansas City Missouri Fire Department. My dad retired as a captian with the KC fire department.
We had a military service. My dad had served in the Army during the Korean War. After the flag was folded properly a young soldier got down on one knee in front of my mom, handed her the flag and said something like, "a great nation thanks you for his service." This young man was so humble and respectful. Those of us sitting close to my mom were touched to the point of tears. It was one of the most sincere expressions I have seen.

1 comment:

Barb said...

Sorry about the loss of your dad!