Jan 16, 2012

"Transitions"...now that's an understatement!


This book "Transitions; Making Sense of Life's Changes" was also given to me by a sister-in-law, Sonja. I selected it to be my read for the month of January (remember I have set goals to accomplish a few things this year and one is a new book per month)! I had to laugh at the title, TRANSITIONS. Let me tell you, Kenneth and I have had more than our expected share in the past 14 months of marriage. We've experienced divorce (before we met), marriage, career changes, basically my retirement, a major move, a car wreck, the death of my father, illness with Kenneth's parents, problems with my old house and more and more. This book was really helpful in that I learned that our reactions have been completely normal...yippie..normal is good!! Recently I looked online for a stress scoring system that assigns a number to life-events. Life-events (changes in life) even good ones have an effect on you and I was curious to see what our score might be. I was shocked to find out that for each of us it was over 300...that's serious stress! We might be qualified for an extended stay in a padded room! But inspite of the changes we continue to turn to each other. There has been stress, but not between us. We pull together and love and support each other. This has been an amazing process. We both feel so blessed to have each other and to be firmly anchored in the Gospel and love and devotion for each other. With all of that said this book really does help you understand the process and stages everyone experiences.

No comments: